Wednesday 3 March 2010

The Staffordshire Hoard



I went to see the Staffordshire hoard on Sunday. There were 80 pieces exhibited at the Potteries Museum in Stoke out of 1600 found in a field in South Staffordshire last year. We waited for 3 and a half hours but it was worth it to see such beautiful and exquisite metal work. No-one really knows why the hoard was buried but my guess is that the pieces (all embellishments for military attire) were stolen from a battlefield with the theif(ves) hoping to come back to collect them at a later date. Strange that they were abandoned for so long but it is wonderful to see them now!

My favourite piece was a little gold horse that was really tiny but beautifully detailed. Many of the other pieces were set with deep red garnets and still had the soil from the field on them until they can be properly cleaned and conserved.


I am glad that it has been confirmed that they will stay in the midlands and I can't wait to see the whole collection! If you can, it is well worth going to see the collection that will 'redefine the dark ages' :D

1 comment:

  1. I'd really love to see it, I may have to drag my husband up.

    ReplyDelete